Best Orange Poppy Seed Yogurt Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 5 Tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- For brushing after baking:
- 3 Tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×4-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper leaving an overhang of paper over the long sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the sugar and orange zest. Mix together on low speed for about 1 minute until sugar becomes slightly moistened with the orange zest.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add the oil and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt adding 1/2 the flour mixture first then all the yogurt and then the remaining flour. Add the orange juice and poppy seeds and mix to combine.
- Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove loaf pan to a cooling rack. Using a long skewer poke holes into the loaf then brush top with 3 Tbsp orange juice. Let loaf sit in pan for 15 minutes then run a knife around the outside and remove the loaf to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled prepare the glaze by combining the ingredients and mixing together until smooth. If necessary add a bit more icing sugar or orange juice to thicken or thin the glaze as needed. The glaze should be thin enough to drip of the loaf but not so thin it runs right off the loaf. Spoon glaze over cooled loaf and let stand until it sets.
This article and recipe adapted from this site