Easy Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup short grain or Arborio rice
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Parsley for serving
- Place chicken and scraps from the outer layers and end of the onions carrots and celery in a large stock pot. Add bay leaves and 8 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is fork-tender about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred; then strain the chicken broth using a fine-mesh sieve and discard the vegetable scraps.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions carrots celery garlic and thyme and cook until tender about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken and rice then return the broth to the stockpot and bring a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with fresh parsley if desired.
This article and recipe adapted from this site