Mint Chocolate Chip Mousse Brownies
INGREDIENTSFOR THE BROWNIE LAYER:
- 10 oz butter cubed
- 17 1/2 oz granulated sugar (2 1/2 cups)
- 5 1/4 oz unsweetened cocoa powder (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 eggs
- 4 1/2 oz flour (1 cup)
FOR THE MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP MOUSSE LAYER:
- 12 oz white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream divided use
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin (1 packet)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Green and yellow food coloring
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup) finely chopped
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONSTO MAKE THE BROWNIE LAYER:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil so that foil extends up and over the sides and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the butter sugar cocoa powder and salt in a large saucepan set over medium-low heat. Warm the mixture stirring frequently until the butter melts the sugar and cocoa powder dissolve and the mixture is fairly hot. It will be grainy. Take it off the heat and let it cool until it is warm but not hot to the touch.
- Add the vanilla extract and mint extract. Add the eggs one at a time whisking well after each addition. As you add the eggs the mixture will go from being grainy and separated to a shiny smooth satiny texture. Finally add the flour and fold it in gently until no streaks of flour remain.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake it at 350 F for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the brownies cool completely on a wire rack. Brownies can be made several days ahead of time and kept well-wrapped at room temperature until ready to use.
TO MAKE THE MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP MOUSSE LAYER:
- Combine the white chocolate chips 3/4 cup of cream and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments whisking every 30 seconds until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour it into a large bowl and let it cool to room temperature stirring occasionally.
- While you wait for the white chocolate mixture to cool prepare the gelatin. Whisk together the gelatin and the cold water in a small bowl and set it aside to let the gelatin absorb the water. When the chocolate is at room temperature microwave the bowl of gelatin for 15 seconds until it is melted. Whisk the melted gelatin and chocolate together. Add the peppermint extract and several drops of green food coloring and one of yellow. The color should be a little more intense than you want the final mousse color to be because it will lighten as you add the whipped cream in the next step.
- Whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups heavy cream to firm peaks. Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate and once it’s incorporated gently fold in the remaining whipped cream. Add the finely chopped chocolate and stir just until it’s mixed. Scrape the mousse out onto the cooled brownie and spread it into an even layer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before adding the chocolate glaze.
TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl and put the cream into a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the cream to a simmer and when it’s almost boiling pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for a minute to soften the chocolate. Whisk gently until the chocolate melts and the glaze is shiny and smooth. Pour the glaze over the mousse layer and spread it into a thin even layer.
- Refrigerate the tray of brownies to set the mousse and glaze completely for at least 3 hours. Once set remove the brownies from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut them into small squares or rectangles—they’re substantial so a little goes a long way! Top them with green candies if desired. Store Mint Chip Mousse Brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be served chilled or left to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
NOTESYou can substitute your favorite boxed mix for the brownie portion. Use a mix that yields a 9×13 pan of brownies prepare and bake the brownies as directed and let them cool completely before following the steps for the mint chip mousse below.This article and recipe adapted from this site