Most Amazing Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe
- 1.5 lb / 750g chicken thigh fillets boneless and skinless (4 to 6 pieces)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (ordinary all purpose soy sauce not light or dark soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 dried bay leaves (or 4 fresh)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 small brown onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp whole black pepper
- 2 shallots/scallions sliced
- Combine the chicken with 3 garlic cloves (minced) soy sauce vinegar and bay leaves in a bowl. Marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a fry pan over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade) and place in the pan. Sear both sides until browned – about 1 minute on each side. Do not cook the chicken all the way through. Remove chicken from the fry pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil then add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onion is golden and translucent (2 minutes).
- Add the reserved marinade water sugar and black pepper. Bring it to a simmer then turn heat down to medium high.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add the chicken back in top side down (ie the smooth side should face down). Leave to simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes (no need to stir) until the sauce reduces down to a thick jam-like syrup and when you turn the chicken over it is glazed (note – it will thicken slightly as it rests).
- If the sauce isn t thick enough remove chicken onto a plate and let the sauce simmer by itself – it will thicken much quicker – then return chicken to the skillet to coat in the glaze.
- Set aside to rest for 5 minutes then serve garnished with shallots/scallions.
This article and recipe adapted from this site